Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Eunos Emergency Preparedness Day 2008

28 December 2008

It was tough getting out of bed. The fever bug had just left my body, having sucked away part of my soul.

At the market, Yap surprised me when he said that he would be sponsoring the fruits instead of consigning them to the youth group. Thanks to Yap! If you are staying in Eunos, do check his fruits stall located somewhere between MacDonald's and KFC. He only sells fresh fruits in the morning.

Eunos CC was already crowded with people when I arrived. The immense effort in putting up this great show by a small group of us payed off. I was the photographer for the event and managed to capture the many happy smiling faces of the participants.

At 12pm, I left for the Emergency Preparedness Day. After eating the lunch provided for by the SCDF, CERT members as well Zone 3 RC members gathered to do a final rehearsal of the emergency exercise.

My role was a CERT (Community Emergency Rescue Team) leader conducting a routine patrol in the area. I would spot smoke gushing out from a unit at Blk 622 and order my team members to evacuate the residents. Wei Kiat would make announcements through the loudhailer to request for residents to evacuate. I called for the police and fire brigade and they arrived at the scene. After briefing them about the situation, they moved in to conduct the rescue. At the same time, the Combined Platform Ladder of the fire engine would be used to rescue victims from the 6th storey. To end the drill, grassroots leaders would fall in alongside SCDF and await for further commands.

I am not good in acting in front of a big crowd, so I was quite stressed after the rehearsal. As the "main lead", the whole show would fail if I committed some silly mistakes. Luckily it turned out well and thanks to Hock Rong for the photo moment.

Wei Kiat was beginning to fall sick as well. As the most outstanding youth in Eunos, he had certainly contributed a lot to this event.

The SLC students and some of the YEC members chilled over the buffet dinner, before going back to rest.

Hock Rong called and woke me after a 4-hour nap. We met for a while to discuss the year plan for 2009...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fong,

    祝你和家人;
    ☆★☆ Happy New Year 2009 ☆★☆
    ☆★☆ 新年快乐,身体健康。☆★☆

    ReplyDelete

Please share your feedback and comments.