Showing posts with label WIS 2006. Show all posts
Showing posts with label WIS 2006. Show all posts

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Perceived Value and Actual Value

Perceived value of an object is the value derived from others' opinions. Actual Value is the innate value of an object. I am writing because I have heard this from Jay Abraham and some other speakers in the World Internet Summit 2006, and found this concept vital but often overlooked.

One of the participants of the Summit posed a question to Jay Abraham, saying that small companies have a hard time fighting with big companies. Consumers tend to squeeze the small firms by pushing prices lower and lower. His question was how to tackle this problem.

Jay Abraham gave a thinking look, looked upwards, and then said that one has to respect one's own value in order for others to respect it. Small companies need to respect themselves so that consumers will pay a good price for them.

When you actually see yourself as a valuable asset and are confident about the fact, then people will see you differently. People will perceive that you are valuable when you think you are valuable.

My tutor, Mr Terence Ong from Temasek Junior College, used to tell me a short story. It goes like this: Tom went for an interview. When the interviewer asked him what kind of salary he wants, Tom said $2k. Immediately the interviewer said okay. The interviewer actually wanted to pay him $5-6k for the job. But since Tom deemed his own value at $2k, the company would have just saved $3k for employing this person. And if Tom is satisfied with his own value, the company would continue paying him such an amount.

Self-respect and self-valuing are crucial and they make up the perceived value.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Immense Value of Giving Speeches

It occured to me that giving speeches in seminars do earn one a great income, but never did I know how powerful it can be. At the WIS 2006, John Childers presented the idea to me, as well as to the rest of the audience.

You see, speaking in public is a one-to-many sales technique instead of one-to-one sales technique. By doing a one-to-many, you can actually increase the efficiency of your sales and the credibility of yourself. When you show that you have the confidence to speak out and convince the crowd, people will develop trust in you even though they have never seen you in their entire living life.

So if they start to listen to you, and they start to like what you are saying, it will be easy to promote a product to the audience. When you compare a one-to-one selling, the odds may be about 10-20% chance of closing a sale. Whereas if you do a one-to-many selling, a 10-20% would give you a good portion of the audiences.

When training others to speak, these learners will eventually turn out to be great speakers in their own realms and regions. When this happens, they become living proof and testimonials of yourself. And your value increases, and people will start inviting you to give speeches at their events.

Finally, you will just need to speak once in a while to get your living expenses. What a great potential job it might be.

World Internet Summit 2006

Held at Expo from 25 November to 28 November, which sees many Internet Marketing Experts sharing their knowledge, is the World Internet Summit 2006. Speakers came from around the world. They included Brett McFall, Tom Hua, John Childers, David Cavagnah, Stephen Pierce, Andrew and Daryl Grantt, Rick Raddatz, Jay Abraham, Ewen Chia, Jo Han Mok, Fabian.

Of them all, Ewen, Jo Han and Fabian are Singaporeans. Ewen and Jo Han took up the Internet Challenge and earned themselves US$60 000 from selling online throughout the 4 days. How amazing Internet Marketing can be.

Jay Abraham gave a keynote address to the audiences on the first day. He speaks for up to US$25000 per pax in other seminars. He is a powerful speaker. Able to analyse questions and formulate a solution just at the blink of the eye.

John Childers won a landslide victory in a vote for the best speaker of WIS 2006. He trains speakers. For the event, he promoted his course by saying that those who joined him need only pay S$7500 for his S$45000 course as a deposit, and when they earn from public speaking, will he then collect the remaining money from them. This is an amazing feat of confidence.

I thought Matt Bacak was the best speaker. He gave a lot of useful information and insights to us.

At the end of the 4 days, I feel that I am 80% equipped with knowledge and just need the other 20% of energy to kickstart this income-generating source.