Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Qing Ming Festival 2009

22 March 2009

I always look forward to offer prayers to my ancestors during Qing Ming Festival. It is a time when relatives gather and I get to catch up with my cousins. Our journey there usually starts with a fun lorry ride.

I love sitting at the back of the lorry as it speeds down the expressway. The strong wind with the scenery clear the hectic mind. My Uncle would drive us in his lorry until we reach Fong Yun Thai Association Columbarium off Holland Drive. Most of the people who come here to pray to their ancestors belong to the Hakka dialect group. My paternal relatives used to reside in kampongs at Pulau Tekong before the Government decided to use the land for military training. Here, they would bump into their kampong friends.

I remember when we came last year, Felicia Chin smiled and walked past us. Too bad, no celebrities this year.

In my childhood days, I would always be folding incense papers every month, together with Grandma. Until now, my folding still looks ugly. Cousin Felicia picked up this new skill on this very day.

Right after the burning of the incense, everyone loaded the logistics back onto the lorry. This is the time where all of us would feast into the buns and pastries.

Headed to school from Bukit Timah to submit my essay on a beautiful Sunday...

1 comment:

  1. Good experience there. I also go for QingMing every year to pay respect to my ancestors.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your feedback and comments.