Tuesday, October 06, 2009

A Toastmaster Inspires

22 September 2009

At the September Chapter Meeting of Kg Chai Chee Toastmasters Club, I shared about the word "inspires" in my opening address as Club President.

In my initial foray into Toastmasters, I thought Toastmasters only meant a platform to build confidence in public speaking and be a competent leader. I was wrong because Toastmasters is more than just those.

After I presented my Humorous speech at Toa Payoh South Community Club, there was a veteran Toastmaster (whom I regretted for not asking for his name) who came to me and we started a conversation.

He had won numerous humorous speech contests at the area level, as well as at division level. Making reference to my speech, he offered valuable pointers to me. He said he always participates in humorous contests because great speakers might not be humorous, thus many Toastmasters that are strong in language would be filtered out, thus it wouldn't be as competitive as prepared speech contests.

What struck me was the inspiration that he gave me. And the inspiration that I received was the way a Toastmaster inspires. A Toastmaster learns from Toastmasters, and inspire others to attaining their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.