Monday, May 04, 2009

Swine Flu's Impact on Daily Activities

4 May 2009


About 3 days ago, I received a text message from NUS. I was asked to report to the examination venue 1 hour prior to the start of the paper, due to the temperature checking procedures that need to take place.

The morning traffic was slow and I ended up reaching school at 8.45am, instead of 8am. As the bus drove past the Multipurpose Sports Hall, one of the venues for examinations, long queues were seen doving straight to the carpark. I was fortunate to have my exam in a small lecture theatre.

One by one, each student was subjected to checks using the ear thermometer. When the disposable cap was used up, the oral thermometer was used. Invigilators donned the N95 mask. The exam started slightly later than supposed to and invigilators asked us to verify our details for contact tracing purposes as we took the exam.

In the afternoon, headed to Changi General Hospital to visit Grandma. Many exits were sealed to direct visitors to the main temperature screening point. I reached at 2.15pm and was told that visiting time was already over (12-2pm). I couldn't even enter the building.

In the evening, I went to the Meet-the-People Session (MPS) to volunteer. Again, anyone entering the office needed to be screened and to fill a form.

Many people that I have encountered lamented the exaggeration of such precautionary measures. In my opinion, it is best to be safe than sorry. The SARS crisis had taught Singaporeans many lessons and hopefully these lessons enable us to avert the Swine flu pandemic. The measures taken by the Government were swift and decisive. The short-term inconvenience would translate into a happier future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.