Thursday, February 07, 2008

Chinese New Year Eve 2008

Heralding towards a new year on the lunar calendar...

Early morning climbed out of bed and instantly felt the atmosphere refreshing. After reading some course materials, I left for school. The usual crowds and buzz were not in NUS today. Had a very easy time (as well as good spot) to park the vehicle.

A lecture must be worth attending to warrant my travelling from the East to the West on a Chinese New Year's Eve. And indeed it is. Prof Hussin Mutalib never failed to entertain the students with his 1)unique poshy accent; 2)self-glorifying professions; 3)lame rhetorics. For someone who had taught the subject for more than 2 decades, he must have some substance. Singapore politics, while it already is intriguing, has become even more exciting and interesting.

I was glad to receive an invitation card to the Istana for Chinese New Year Dinner. The card was personally signed by PM Lee Hsien Loong, SM Goh Chok Tong, MM Lee Kuan Yew and other Cabinet Ministers. Wonderful.

Had a little gathering with some relatives for a mini-reunion dinner. Grandma seemed to be in a good mood, with an occasional smile. She used to like Chinese New Year a lot, especially it was a chance to see all her descendants as well as give blessings to us. I remember that on every Chinese New Year at 12 am, my Brother and I would surprise her with our oranges and words of blessings.

Inflation of New Year items and daily necessities became the focus at the gathering.

After the dinner, I attempted to drive my family to a very special place, where most Singaporeans wouldn't have seen it before, but did not get my directions right and ended up wasting time going in circles and ovals.

This year's countdown was anamoly to previous years. Played Tower Defence with some friends over the Internet and baboom! Chinese New Year. So now as I "guard the night", a tradition that I would always embrace, I would like to wish all readers a happy Chinese New Year!

*"guard the night" -- The Chinese believes that if a son stays up late into the night, the parents would live longer.

1 comment:

Please share your feedback and comments.