Thursday, August 20, 2020

My Qatar Escapade (Day 1)

28 December 2019

Since there shall be no travel plans till a long long time later, I have decided to pen some #throwback posts on my travels and relive the experience as I do so.

So I went on an adventure to my first ever trip (and a solo one) to a Middle Eastern country - Doha, Qatar. I came to realise that many friends thought Doha is Dubai, but when they hear Qatar, they think of the blockade by Saudi Arabia. 

How else can I fly to Qatar but by Qatar Airways

Tried to exchange SGD currency to Qatari Riyal and learnt that most money changers do not carry Riyals! USD it is.

I am not wearing Qatar Airways uniform


Gulp, where am I headed to?


Arrived at Hamad International Airport, one of the major airhubs in the world


Cleared immigration at Premium Arrival Lounge... 


... and enjoyed a cuppa coffee

Hopped on a shuttle bus to Oryx Rotana Doha Hotel.





Middle Eastern snacks are just simply addictive

The window view was... slightly disappointing:

A torch statue of Doha Asian Games 2006 

I guessed Doha was in the process of transformation to get ready to host the FIFA World Cup on 2022 and this city would be very different by then.

A view of the lobby from the glass lift


When you only have two days to explore a city, there is no time to lose. Without a single Qatari Riyal on me, I decided to explore the city on foot. Setting my course to the coast, I relied on a screenshot of Google Map and my blind faith of strangers that would point me the way.

These photos helped guide my way back


An entrance to the metro


First sight of flowers in Qatar!

Sword Gate Monument

My first encounter with a Qatari was at the One Asia Forum in 2009. Recalled seeing our Qatari counterparts in their national costume and bearing swords.



Abdulla Bin Zaid Al Mahmoud Islamic Cultural Center Mosque


A sigh of relief seeing signs of the coast after an hour of walking. Passed by many South Asians and relied on their guidance to point me to the right direction. Qatar has a huge migrant worker population. In fact, the number of migrant workers exceeds its local population.

And yay! I reached the Corniche Doha Bay promenade.



The Pearl Monument

The Pearl Monument is not to be confused with The Pearl-Qatar, which is an up-market artificial island.

No way I am walking there today so let's just have a photo


Amiri Diwan

I had plotted my route to the Coast, thinking that coastal areas were usually where excitement was. Not quite. So I ventured to a nearby park to have a feel of a public park in Doha.

Souq Waqif Park


Enjoying the sunset at Souq Waqif Park


It was dinner time. From Souq Waqif Park, I just wanted to find an eatery before returning to the hotel. Headed to the direction towards a carnival that I spotted on the way to the promenade. Felt that I should have relied on a better map than my screenshot of Google Maps. 

and then I saw LIFE!


Missed my son




I stumbled upon a place of interest - Souq Waqif, a bustling marketplace. My 1 hour of walking did not go to waste!

Souq Waqif








Souq Waqif Mosque


Cultural performances were concurrently taking place in different corners.










With no cash at hand, my food options were limited to restaurants that accepted credit cards, and I found myself here at this alfresco restaurant.











Thumbs up to the Thumb Monument


Museum of Islamic Art


Water sprinklers spraying water on a rare patch of greens

Took a gamble to walk a different route back to the hotel. Briskly walked on as I braved the chilling weather.

Council of Ministers Secretariat General



National Museum of Qatar


An architecture model at the lobby of Oryx Rotana


Hi Olaf!



Walked the blue route to the Coast and took grey (right) route back

Goodnight


That ends my day 1 in Doha, Qatar :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feedback and comments.