Thursday, September 11, 2008

Is Jolly Shandy Non-Alcoholic?

I remember drinking Jolly Shandy when I was in my Secondary schooldays. A can of Jolly Shandy turned my face slightly reddish. My peers thought it was an exaggerated reaction. Their thinking was justified since the alcohol content of Jolly Shandy is below 1%.

On my way home, I saw an advertisement of Jolly Shandy on a bus. What caught my eye was the claim that Jolly Shandy belonged to the non-alcoholic category. I was stunned for a moment.

What happens to the innocent young children who see Jolly Shandy as a soft drink. What happens if Muslims were to unknowingly consume Jolly Shandy? Isn't it inaccurate to label it non-alcoholic when there is alcoholic content within the drink?

Anyway, I boarded the bus. At a traffic light junction, the light turned green for the bus and a drunkard was taking his own sweet time strolling in front of the bus. The bus driver pressed the horn slightly and this angered the drunkard.

The drunkard mumbled some words and pointed fingers, challenging the driver to go out for a fight. The driver ignored him and he spat at the windscreen in the direction of the driver. Tough life for a bus driver, isn't it?

I find this incident rather ironic. Here was a man who just enjoyed his alcohol and now spitting at a bus with an alcoholic (non-alcoholic category) drink advertisement.

Image Source: http://www.jolly.com.np/products.php

1 comment:

  1. for a chinese, you do care about us muslims...

    there's a news reporting on http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/articles/CAPmintakerajaanharamkanminumanringanberakohol/Article/index_html
    another beverage, if jolly shandy just 1%, that report says 5.5% for that unstated alcoholic drinks.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your feedback and comments.