Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cycling - Moving in the Green Way

16 June 2008

Was notified by my Brother that I appeared in the newspapers. That notification kept me excited till the evening when I finally saw the article... It's really a very small appearance.

In the afternoon, went to Rivervale Plaza to purchase a bicycle. I reckoned that a bicycle would really be beneficial for me to meet up with her. Firstly, it would be a great exercise. Secondly, it would really save cost. Thirdly, I could contribute to a Greener world.

Was upsold by the shopowner to purchase a mountain bike instead. Installed in a basket for my bag, a bell and a comfortable cushion backseat. All for about S$160. The decision factor arrived after a simple Maths breakdown of how this bike could save more than I spent on it.

It was challenging to carry one person at the back, since I had never in my life done that. Often we had to alight from the bicycle when I gave up conquering the upward slopes. Still remembered how Jian Hao and I used to learn bicycle riding from Wayne and Zhi Yong after our PSLE.

Singapore is really a good location for cycling. Especially where I stay since Aljunied GRC has committed to a barrier free zone. Following the new regulations allowing foldable bicycles on board trains and buses, there would surely be a renewed interest in cycling. I could envision a scenario where I could cycle to the train station, travel to Clementi, and then cycle to NUS. This has a potential saving of more than hundreds of dollars per month! And talk about how much benefits that is to the environment.

However, more has to be done in order to get everyone to cycle in a small island. Already, there are much discontent between walking pedestrians and cyclists as well as between drivers and cyclists.

At night, found out that my Brother also had a bicycle (secretly). Haha...

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I agree totally about the cost saving. I was looking for a 2nd hand $50 bike after I lost a bike in 1996. There were two offers, $90 and $70. Insisting on my budget of $50, I waited a week, which I regretted, because each week I waited cost me ~$20 on transport then.

    It should take some practice to carry a person at the back. After I had been riding on roads regularly for almost 10 years, I took a few short trip to get used to carrying my wife behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:07 PM

    Aljunied GRC?

    Right, I'd better keep an extra eye out for one new rider on the pedestrian walkway.

    Pedestrians must never hesitate to insist on their right of way whenever and if ever such conflicts occur.

    After all, humans came first, before the wheel was invented.

    And if ever you feel threatened as a two-legged walking human being, raise the alarm - fight back, reclaim your right of way.

    This is a totally deranged public policy, two-leggeds and uneducated two-wheelers sharing narrowest of pavements - ABSOLUTE MADNESS!

    And I hope you are reading this, dear Madam Member of Tampines GRC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Tampines had a wider walking path... Nevertheless, pedestrians must have the right of way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. Lao Da was talking about BM Max and BMW today. Powerfulful.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your feedback and comments.